I was a bit of a mess after reading Wil Wheaton’s latest post Tears in Rain. It made me cry, then it made me sad, and then it made me happy. And then I cried some more, because reasons. After I regained my composure, I went back to my emails, because in those vast caverns of private conversation, I have some really great stuff from you guys who are too shy to share publicly.
I get it. That’s why there aren’t a ton of comments on my blog. It’s easier to share privately. Twitter DM, Facebook Messenger, emails, whatever you use is fine. Sharing is caring. It’s what makes us better, as a community. It’s how the world learns (even if it’s a slow process) that crazy people can be normal people, too.
I’ve compiled a list of the most helpful things that have been said to me or by me privately. I’m sharing it out of context, without names or reference, so that the love I get can be shared with other folks. For folks who need something to say to someone with mental illness, start here. I hope these anonymous messages help you, to0.
- You are not alone in this.
- You matter and you do make a difference.
- I just felt the need to email you and let you know that there are many of us out here.
- I don’t know how to help you, so I’ll just start with “I love you, and I hope you’re okay.”
- It’s hard to explain Bipolar Disorder to people. That’s okay, we don’t get it either.
- You don’t have to pretend for me. Be you, no matter what.
- If you want to hide in your house, that’s okay. I’m doing it too. Hit me up on Twitter.
- Sometimes you should push your limits. Sometimes you shouldn’t.
- The Jailor sounds like a bastard. I can’t kick his ass for you, but I’m in your corner, bro.
- Knowing you’re out there makes me feel like I’m not alone.
- I just wanna say thanks. Not for anything in particular, just so you know you’re wanted.
- Thanks for swearing. It’s good to know you’re human, and not a PSA robot. [This guy made me respond with “I’m not a robot” before our exchange got this far.]
- Dude. I have no idea what you’re talking about. But thanks for saying it. Me “not getting it” is my chance to learn, I guess.
- Thank you for trying.
- Thank you for opening up. I’d have never guessed.
- I’m glad you’re getting help. Maybe talking to a doctor won’t be too hard…
Finally, let me just say that you are awesome. You’re likely not reading my blog because you were looking for tampons for a French Rhinoceros (which is probably a good thing). You’re here because you’re interested, you’re looking for help, or you want another crazy person to laugh at. I’m glad to help with all of those needs. Just don’t ask me for advice regarding your French Rhino’s menses. I can’t help with that shit.